Are layers of old paint on top of wood giving you a difficult time? Traditional sanding methods can be difficult and very time consuming. One way the job can be completed easier is with Steam. Steam works to remove the paint by softening it with the heat and adding moisture to the wood, both helping to life the paint. A great benefit to removing paint from wood is the reduction of dust particles in the air. Old paint can contain lead and using steam to remove the paint helps to minimize lead in the air of your home.This is an moderately easy project that anyone can do in their own home. Cost for total Project? Steamer Rental: $24 per day Paint Removal tool (puddy knife or painters 5-in-1 tool): $4 Gloves: $5 ———————
Things You’ll Need:
* Steamer Rent one from us at The Rental Center or purchase a wallpaper steamer with us in the Paint Department. Ask us for a quick demonstration before you leave the store.
* Putty knife/Painters 5-in-one Tool – both available for purchase in the Paint and Hand Tools Departments* Gloves - available for purchase in the Hand Tools departments
Step By Step Process
1. Fill your steamer with water. Let the steamer heat up until steam begins to come out.
2. Lay the head of the steamer on the paint and hold it there for 30 seconds to one minute. The heat from the steamer and the moisture will work to soften the paint and peel it from the wood. Press firmly to make sure the steam is penetrating the paint.
3. Move the steamer head aside and use the putty knife to check for softness. If the paint peels easily, the area is ready. If the paint does not come up easily, keep the steamer in place for a bit longer.
4. Work your putty knife under the paint. Holding the knife at a 45-degree angle, push the paint up and off the wood in a single strip. The paint should not come off in small pieces. Paint coming off in small pieces means the steamer isn’t hot enough or you haven’t left it on the paint for long enough.
5. Move the steamer to an adjacent spot and repeat the process. Work in a methodical way, making sure to get all of the paint off of a spot before you move to the next area
Ken’s Discount Building Materials of El Dorado, Arkansas would like to welcome all to our new blog!What began in 1946 as a livestock and scrap metal business is now a third generation very diverse company. Ken’s Discount Building Materials offers a great selection of building materials, hardware & paint, steel, feed & farm supplies at competitive pricing and un-matched customer service.
We are offering this blog to our Residential Customers as well as our Contractors. We strive to offer advice and customer service in all areas of our business. We hope that this blog will offer you, your family, and our community tools and tips that really benefit home life and work life.
Please look through our website and see all that we have to offer at Ken’s Discount Building Materials. Our Departments page covers many of the areas of our store. There you will see many of the products and brands that we have to offer in each department.
We would love for you to give as call or email us if you have any questions or suggestions. Please feel free to comment on our blog posts if you have any questions or would like to see us write about a project you are particularly interested in.
Here on the blog we will be giving expert advice for residential and commercial projects, discussing new products that we are featuring in store, and letting you know about great buys and deals. We would love for you to follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
We will also be using Social Media to get the word out about these blog posts, deals in the store, and give-aways that will be offered throughout the year!
We have that you stay tuned to see what were up to. Happy 2011!